The following is a guest post by Brendan Egan. His bio is at the end of the article.
Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, is the simple yet essential process through which a website’s online visibility can be enhanced with search engine recognition. A logical deduction is that a website is bound to generate more views and host more visitors if its rates on the search engine list are high. It is fundamentally a marketing strategy that identifies the most popular search engines by the specified audience; breaks down the functioning of search engines; and interprets what the most frequent searches are, to generate trends of what people search for (keywords and search terms).
There are different kinds of optimizations that can be targeted through the SEO: image, local, academic, video, news or industry-related.
The process of optimizing includes editing the content and the layout of a website. However, sometimes, simpler techniques, for instance updating a website frequently, go a long way in making a website more compatible with search engines. All of this is a means to enhance and increase the relevance of a website with the keywords that are used more recurrently.
Another SEO technique is the promotion of a website to increase the amount of backlinks. SEO also helps in removing the black hats of the process: it will assist you in minimizing the spamming activities and other activities that may blacklist your website on the search engine list.
Moreover, choosing the appropriate keywords is also an important feature of the said optimization. By following a number of simple tips and making informed, educated decisions, with the purpose of making a website more search engine relevant, a website host can generate lots of traffic on the website.
Importance of choosing keywords:
One of the most basic tasks to undertake, once you commence SEO for your website, is the selection of main keywords. As a host, you need to choose keywords that are most relevant to the content of the website, while also bearing a connection with the searches of the users on the subject. Prioritization of keywords from the list is one of the most primary yet essential processes that SEO promotes.
While choosing the keywords for the website, it is important to remember that the most popular keywords online may not be the same as the ones identified as the most important for your website. Generic keywords, like ‘clothing store’ or ‘eye specialist’ may be futile as your prioritized keywords, quite obviously, because of their competitiveness and relevance to so many other websites. For someone new to SEO, it is always preferable to start with lesser competitive alterations of the same keyword. Once this works for the website, money can be reinvested in the SEO, and more competitive keywords can then be attempted.
It is helpful to keep the following steps in mind.
- Think of the words, phrases and sentences that users may use most frequently on a search engine, and employ those as keywords.
- From there, use the keywords that you have thought of and search for them on different search engines. Visit the websites and see which other keywords have not already been taken.
- Use a keyword tool like wordtracker.com to help identify and evaluate words from your list. Such a service helps provide a list of keywords from the last month that are similar to your keyword. You can use these terms in your list to help generate a better search engine standing.
- Search for volume of keywords used most frequently in the previous month. The greater the volume of a keyword, the more important it is. It is better to remove the keywords with low volume, even if they are most relevant to your website. Remember: the most popular keywords may be different from the most important ones.
A set of quick, easy SEO tips can be employed to generate a greater amount of traffic on your website. These tips are most useful for small business enterprises, which cannot afford to invest in external SEOs in the initial stages of business; even novice web designers can follow these instructions and garner better results.
- Don’t use Java script drop down menus. They cloak your website’s sub sections, hiding from the internet what could be some of your most enticing website options. Also, don’t use image links and image maps. And if you must, put text links somewhere on the main page.
- Link back to yourself. Whenever you are creating or uploading new content, link it to your archives. A professional SEO company states on the subject that “the more relevant words point to a page, the more likely that page is to appear in search results when users run a query with those terms.” Don’t link excessively though, or the visitors will not be pleased. It is important not only to bring the visitor to the website, but also to make him come back for future references.
- Create sitemaps for your website. It is a basic rule: the fewer clicks required for accessing a page on the website, the more attractive a page appears for the search engines.
- Furthermore, it is most important to keep updating data on your website very frequently. New content can help improve the list rankings, as it makes the website appear more relevant. If you don’t have regular content to upload, start a blog and make regular entries on that. Search engine spiders pick up fresh content.
- Just as it is important to work on the content of the website frequently, it is also important to work on the SEO regularly. It is not a one-time thing. The search preferences of users change on a daily basis, and it is important to keep up with things in order to promulgate your website on the search engine lists.
- Make sure you work on image description. Internet ‘spiders’ cannot search for text in the images, therefore, it is very important to describe the content of the images in captions or quotes. You can also use ‘ALT’ tags to add a description that is relevant to the important keywords. Putting words in the proximity of images helps immensely with the SEO.
- For video optimization, don’t just rely on the one mainstream website to do your work for you. Search engines often prefer to link relevant videos from different channels, so it is important for you to upload your content on different websites for better availability and greater recognition.
- For any website, it is preferable to have all forms of content. Don’t just rely on the usual text plus image combination. Find creative ways in the form of videos, blogs and news to publish your content and advertise. SEO is no longer just about blue widgets and outsourced links.
- A very easy yet significant move is to distribute links of your fresh content on the mainstream social networking websites. According to another SEO consultancy company, this is a very important SEO strategy. If the number of places where the website’s name occurs is greater, the credibility of the website is augmented, and the search engine is more likely to recognize the website as a reliable resource for relevant searches.
- Link and get linked. Establish joint marketing partnerships with other voluminous traffic deriving websites, link them on your website and request to be linked from theirs. It is again as simple as having a greater presence online. It is important to consider your linking partners carefully, as having a web partner with bad SEO rankings will most likely have an adverse effect on your rankings as well.
- The importance of keywords has already been emphasized upon in the article. Here, you will be advised to be smart about employing the keywords. Search engines prefer a more fluent, natural form of language; they are usually averse to content that is loaded with keywords, just for the sake of having keywords.
- If you use links, even if it is just blue widgets for your keywords, be sure to surround it with descriptive text which is not only similar to the link, but also helps explain all that the link is about.
New web designers may find the process of optimization intricate or complex. Many resources are available online that help not only with more tips but with tutorials on SEO to help you start up with your website. These tutorials help explain basic concepts on coding, content layout and content management which can be incorporated to the website design to help with recognition from search engines.
Search engines are one of the best forms of online marketing and advertisement. They are known to be the largest source of traffic for most websites. It is one of the best forms of website promotion, which is a primary goal of any business or enterprise looking to establish its presence on the internet. SEO can be an outsourced process too; many companies work online to help redesign your website in accordance to the SEO rules so as to generate higher traffic for the website.
Again, it has to be stressed that optimization is a multi-tiered process, which needs to be regularly followed for it to produce the best results.
Brendan Eganis the owner of an SEO firm, Simple SEO Group that helps small businesses flourish online by providing e-marketing and web design services. To contact Brendan, visit www.SimpleSEOGroup.com.