Facebook is turning 10 this week. In social media terms, this is a huge accomplishment!
Originally named Thefacebook, the company keeps growing and making the news.
- February 4, 2004: Launch (Mark Zuckerberg, Dustin Moskovitz, Chris Hughes, and Eduardo Saverin)
- March 2004: Expansion from Harvard to Stanford, Columbia, and Yale.
- September 2004: Launch of Facebook Wall.
September/October 2005: Expansion to high school networks. Launch of Facebook Photos.
December 2005: 6 million users.
April 2006: Launch of Facebook for Mobile.
September 2006: Launch of News Feed. Anyone can join Facebook.
December 2006: 12 million users.
June 2007: Launch of Facebook Video.
November 2007: Launch of Facebook Pages.
December 2007: 58 million users.
– April 2008: Launch of Facebook Chat.
- July 2008: Launch of the new Facebook and Facebook iPhone app.
- February 2009: Introduction of the Like button.
- March, 2009: Launch of the New Facebook home page.
June 2009: Launch of Facebook Usernames.
December 2009: 360 million users.
July 2010: Launch of Facebook Questions.
- August 2010: Launch of Facebook Places.
December 2010: 608 million users. Launch of the new profiles.
July 2011: Launch of video calling.
September 2011: Introduction of Timeline.
October 2011: Launch of Facebook for iPad.
November 2011: 845 million users.
April 2012: Acquisition of Instagram.
May 2012: Facebook goes public.
– September 2012: Launch of Facebook Gifts.
- October 2012: More than 1 billion active users.
– January 2013: Launch of Graph Search Beta.
- February 2013: 100 million monthly Instagram users.
June 2013: Launch of video on Instagram. Hashtag support.
– August 2013: Launch of Internet.org.
- September 2013: Graph Search rolled out for posts and comments.
- 757 million daily active users (DAUs)
556 million mobile DAUs
945 million MAUs
500 million monthly Groups users
Used by 57% of all adults and 73% of teenagers (ages 12-17) (Pew Research Center)
– Adult users have an average of 338 friends (Pew Research Center)
- More than 1.13 trillion likes since launch (Facebook Newsroom)
First Facebook users
For those who wonder is Mark Zuckerberg was the first person to sign up for an account, you guessed it right.
According to Business Insider’s Alyson Shontell, early adopters include co-founders Chris Hughes and Dustin Moskovitz, Arie Hasit, Marcel Georgés Laverdet II, Soleio Cuervo, Andrew McCollum, Colin Kelly, Mark Kaganovich, Tono Aguilar, Kang-Xing Jin, Andrei Boros, Zach Bercu, Samyr Laine, Sarah Goodin, Colin Jackson, David Jakus, and Alana V. Davis.
How much time have you wasted on Facebook?
While most wonder if Facebook will still be around in 10 or 20 years from now, it is fascinating to see the hold the social network has had on people. We spend a global average of 700 billion hours there every month — or 15 hours per person!
Interested in knowing how much time you have wasted on Facebook since you joined? Time Magazine created an app just for that:
A Look Back
On February 4, Facebook will release Look Back, an app that allows you to watch a personalized movie, see a collection of your top photos, or read a “thank you” card from the company.