On April 4, 2013, a little blog called Social Media Slant officially made its debut. Now, a year later, I cannot believe how successful it has become.
You know me, I like celebrating every little thing. And today is no exception.
Social Media Slant: The journey until now
At the beginning of 2013, Creative Ramblings, my old blog, was experiencing a lot of success. However, I felt stuck and wanted to try something new. I had a couple of ideas but needed to see which ones would take off.
Going through my bookmarks one day, I realized that I had a lot of tools saved. Some of them I had already used, while others were still on my to-test list. So, I started reviewing them on a new blog. It was something I had done occasionally in the past, and I knew readers liked it.
A couple of weeks later, that blog was enjoying nice traffic numbers. Several discussions with people also made me realize that I needed to add something to the mix. This something turned out to be social media stats and curation of interesting social media infographics and videos.
When I officially launched Social Media Slant, I only covered those three topics. And things would stay that way for the next few months.
Fast forward to November, when I gave up my national Social Media Examiner column on Examiner.com to focus more of my time on the new project. Knowing how much people enjoyed the social media news roundups I published there, I brought the series to Social Media Slant.
However, a month later, I found myself at a crossroads. Creative Ramblings had been around for more than five years. However, despite my attachment to it, I felt that it had run its course.
At the beginning of this year, I decided to transfer its content to Social Media Slant and delete Creative Ramblings. Within two weeks, daily traffic had increased twofold! In January, the blog received almost 14,000 visits, which was twice the average amount of previous months. This year alone, the blog has reached more than 41,000 views!
Success also had a lot to do with the optimization work I did behind the scenes. Social Media Slant now has a Google Page Rank of 4. Not bad at all for such a young blog!
– 85,980+ visits
– Average visits per day: 438
– Average visits per month: 7160
– Best day: January 31, 2014 (1,061 visits)
– Best month: February 2014 (14,705 visits)
– Top 10 countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, India, Australia, the Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Philippines
Most read articles
– Find the RSS feed for any Twitter user with Twitter RSS (Update)
– The impact of social media on society (infographic)
– Google Plus population around the world
– Rock your next newsletter subject lines with these 100 ideas (Slides)
– Find out how many of your Twitter followers are fake with Fake Follower Check
– A handy guide to optimize your strategy on 11 social media sites (Infographic)
– How long have you been on Twitter?
– 14 tools to rock Google+
– The 80-20 rule in social media (Infographic)
– Internet and technology: A history of growth (1984-2013)
Where is Social Media Slant headed?
I wish I could answer this question. The only thing I know is this: You obviously like the blog as it is right now. So, why fix something that isn’t broken? ;-)
Thank you all for your support during the last 12 months. I could not have done it without you!