Latest posts by Cendrine Marrouat (see all)
- Interview with Mike Klanac, CEO of GripeO - April 23, 2014
- Keeping your word in a social media world - April 22, 2014
- Looking for some marketing resources? Here are 101 for you! - April 21, 2014
On Wednesday, We Are Social Singapore released its 2014 Social, Digital & Mobile Around The World report, which offers key statistics, data and behavioural indicators for social, digital and mobile channels around the world.
There are currently 2.4+ billion Internet users (35% of the world’s population), among whom 1.8+ billion are active. The most connected regions include North America, Western Europe, Oceania, and Central and Eastern Europe, with Internet penetrations rates of 81%, 78%, 63%, and 54% respectively.
When it comes to social networks, the top sites gained more than 135 million new members last year. North America remains the most socially connected at 56%, while Western Europe, Oceania, South America, and Central America are “trailing” about 10 points behind.
“It also appears that social media is now an engrained part of the lives of people across different demographic groups,” says Simon Kemp on the We Are Social Singapore Blog. “This increased ubiquity may result in some changes to the specific demographic bases of individual platforms, but even if people’s habits are changing, it appears that people are moving from one social platform to another, rather than deserting social media in its entirety.”
At 6.5 billion, mobile subscriptions are also at an all-time high. Some regions even sport penetration levels exceeding 100%:
- North America: 101%
- Southeast Asia: 109%
- Middle East: 112%
- South America: 124%
- Central and Eastern Europe: 151%
Interested in data about specific countries? The report reveals numbers for 24 nations, including Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany, Canada, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, the United Kingdom, India, the United Arab Emirates. Here are some highlights:
- Most time spent daily on the Internet: Brazil (6.1 hours from laptops/desktops) and Argentina (3.4 hours from mobile devices)
- Most time spent daily on social networks: Argentina (4.3 hours) and Mexico (3.8 hours)
- Highest social penetration rates per Internet users: Canada (82%) and United Arab Emirates (81%)
- Highest mobile penetration rates: United Arab Emirates (252%) and Saudi Arabia (197%)
You will find all the facts and figures from the report in the slides below.