Latest posts by Cendrine Marrouat (see all)
- Interview with Mike Klanac, CEO of GripeO - April 23, 2014
- Keeping your word in a social media world - April 22, 2014
- Looking for some marketing resources? Here are 101 for you! - April 21, 2014
Facebook announced on Wednesday that it was acquiring WhatApp for $19 billion.
Why would the company pay such a whooping amount of money for a messaging app? As you will see in today’s article, it probably has a lot to do with its incredible growth and massive userbase.
The news also was the perfect opportunity for me to look into some Instagram numbers.
- 150 million active users (60 million added in 2013)
- 60 percent of users are outside the U.S.
- 90 percent of users are under 35 years old
- Men / women ratio: 32 / 68 percent
- Average monthly time spent per user: 257 minutes
- 1,000 comments / 8,500 likes per second
- 55 million photos uploaded daily
- 28 percent of brands have an Instagram account (Socialbakers)
- Brand interaction rates are 15 times higher than on Facebook
(Source: L2 Think Tank)
- 450 million monthly active users (WhatsApp Blog)
- 175 percent global userbase growth since 2013 (230 percent in North America) (GlobalWebIndex)
- 320 million daily active users (WhatsApp Blog)
- 1 million new members added daily (Facebook Newsroom)
- 25 percent of users are teens (ages 16-19) (GlobalWebIndex)
- 19 billion messages sent and 600 million pictures shared daily (VentureBeat)
- Average weekly time spent per user: 195 minutes (Business Insider)
Miscellaneous social media stats
- 7 percent of brands have a Vine account (Socialbakers)
- U.S. consumers spend 60 hours weekly viewing content across devices. (Nielsen)
- 47 percent of U.S. smartphone users visit social networks every day. (Nielsen)
- 9 out of 10 Generation C users create online content at least once a month. (Google Think Insights)
- 7 out of 10 Gen C users curate online content at least once a week. (Google Think Insights)
- The mobile Internet audience now exceeds 994 million people, with about half using the Google Maps and Facebook apps. (GlobalWebIndex)
- More than 20 percent of Google+ users are in China (ProducersWeb)
Did I forget anything important? Feel free to leave links in the comment section.